We just had to SPRING forward which can only mean one thing… the time is upon us everybody–SPRING BREAK 2014 is well on it’s way. Just like I tried to make sure we’d all have a great Valentine’s Day, I’m going to do my best to make sure that you’re prepared for this year’s Spring Break regardless of if your taking a vacation or not! Today’s entry will be packed with information, but I”ll try and make this as painlessly helpful as possible. Let’s dive right in..
If You’re Off During Spring Break You Can…
Take a themed road trip.
- Art-themed Road Trip - Art lovers–this is all you! Take a road trip that allows you to stop and view some great art. A lot of people underestimate how great a trip like that could actually be. Many museums even allow you to pay what you want to enter and some are even free! Keep in mind that this can be done with or without friends!
- Food-themed Road Trip - remember that Harold and Kumar movie where they decided to take a road trip just to eat White Castles? Well, I really liked that idea. I’d definitely be up to taking a road trip to Louisiana just for the beignets–but there are plently of places that are known specifically for the food they have. Google and go!
- Thrifting Road Trip - I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this idea sooner! One of my favorite things to do while traveling is to stop into local thrift stores. Can you imagine an entire trip planned around discovering some of the world’s best kept secrets–THRIFT STORES AND ANTIQUE SHOPS, of course.
- Live Music/Concert Road Trip - This is a great idea for all my music lovers. Finding a concert is a good idea, but I challenge you to find a city to go to that has a local ‘strip’, street, or downtown area that offers a lot of live music venues. Take the week to relax in a new area, enjoy live music, network (if you’re smart about it) and learn of some new artists. This is another cheap trip, if planned correctly. There are so many talented individuals out there research a good area near you and check it out!
- Special Attraction Road Trip - It’s like going to New York to see Lady Liberty, but it has the possibility of being something you didn’t even know was offered right there where you live.
A few other ideas…
- Plan a trip to a Festival/Carnival/Amusement Park - Depending on which one of these you’re looking for, most any of these are hosted in a city that’s great for tourists and visitors; Amusement parks, festivals, and carnivals are such a great way to experience a new place; who doesn’t love going to any of these three choices–FUN! If you live in a city that has any of these this a great idea for you as well. And splurge! Get the unlimited rides/no line pass and really have a blast–even buy ‘the picture that nobody ever buys’ to capture that moment forever! You’ll smile every time you see it, guaranteed.
- Plan a cabin trip - renting out a cabin and filling it up with a few close friends hasn’t failed me yet. This is an excellent idea if you have the means. Bonfires, pranks, looking under the starry skies when night falls–ah! It really is amazing. Most ranches will also have a number of different activities you and your friends can have fun trying. Definitely an opportunity to bond and get closer to one another!
- Hotel Campout - a lot of times people want to get away, but don’t really have anywhere to go or they don’t want to join in all the chaos that is waiting for most people at the beach. A hotel campout is a great way to enjoy yourself without having to go out and do much. There are hotels that offer indoor amenities, lunch, dinner, drinks–the whole nine. I definitely recommend a 4 or 5 star vacation for those of you who are looking for a calmer Spring Break.
- Visit home. It’s never a bad idea to visit home. If you don’t visit home, now would also be a good time to go and visit other members of your family you haven’t seen in a while. This is another great opportunity for you and a friend. If you don’t want to go to your hometown, you could also allow a friend to show you their hometown.
Hopefully you understand with all of these ideas that there are a lot of exciting things to see in life and they may be right under your nose or a good while aways, but it’s nothing a Google search can’t answer. Go see something new and remember it doesn’t have to cost a fortune! PLAN for it, then GO for it.
Catch up on life.
It’s called ‘Spring Break’ for a reason, honey. Sometimes we need a week of doing nothing, but catching up on life. That means:
- Catching up/Getting ahead on work/homework. It may not seem like much of a break at first glance, but remember a break is even more enjoyable when a burden is not waiting at the end of it. Bite the bullet off top and watch how much more you enjoy that week; make it easy on yourself and get it out the way.
- Binge Watch Netflix/Web Series/Hulu. Enjoy catching up on whatever shows you’ve missed or recently learned about. I’ve recommended some excellent YouTube Channels here. Trust me, it’s always nice to turn your phone off, snuggle up with your honey (or snacks, ha.) and indulge in something you find entertaining.
- Cleanse Yourself. In whatever way that speaks to you. We’re all different, so that will mean different things to all of us. Take the week to really tend to yourself. Mind, body, and spirit. This is such a joy for me. Take the break–you’ll love it.
- Master A DIY Project. I’m always telling you to try it, but seriously. It’s so much fun. Take the week to really master a DIY you really like and who knows, you could even turn it into a small side hustle for yourself. Give it a shot!
- Organize yourself. Although for me, I’d include this as a part of my ‘cleanse’, it doesn’t have to be. Take the week to do a little spring cleaning around your house. Organization is so important. You could even make a couple of these 5 Household Items That Make Great Jewelry Organizers.
For The Beach Road Trippers-
If you’re lucky, you’ll get to make it to a beach sooner than later. It’s one of my favorite places on the planet. Here are a couple special reminders for when you start packing for your trip.
- DON’T BRING EXPENSIVE/VALUABLE THINGS YOU DON’T NEED ON THE TRIP. Find a cute pair of cheap sunglasses instead of bringing your fliest pair that way, if/when they get stepped on or lost, you won’t be dying on the inside because you thought ahead!
- Bring on the denim! Shorts, an over-sized button up, a loose fitting pair–it’s time to say yes to denim! Pack a good bit.
- Pack a perfect white tee. Make sure you don’t forget your white shirt. You can dress it up or dress it down. It goes with just about everything you can possibly pack and it’s perfect beach attire.
- Pack your sunscreen. I don’t care if you’re purple, green, black, blue, red, yellow, or white. If you’re in the sun for a long time, your skin can burn. Not fun.
- Pack multiple bathing suits. Make sure you pack at least three bathing suits. They don’t all have to be designer or expensive. I like to go and buy multiple pieces (a variety of top and bottoms) from different stores that I can mix and match to create a plethora of different bathing suit looks. Don’t forget your sleek one piece, ladies!
- Bring a beach bag and bathing suit cover-ups. You’ll be spending a lot of time on the beach, I’m sure. Don’t forget to bring some cover-ups and a bag to put all of your things in just in case you need them.
- Pack a neutral dress and/or skirt. Although you’re going to the beach, there are bars along the strip (if you’re old enough); your group may want to go out to eat or to the mall, point being, you may need a nice outfit or two so don’t forget to pack those!
- Don’t forget to bring sandals and closed toe comfortable shoes.
Safe Spring Break/Survival Tips
I’m no rookie to the Spring Break experience, trust me. I’m not here to be your mama, but I do want you to know that I care about your safety, so here’s a few good things to remember when you’re all wrapped up in the hype of ‘Spring Break’.
- EAT. I cannot stress the importance of making sure that you eat, period. Healthily is always a plus, but PLEASE make sure you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily.
- SLEEP. I know ‘the turn up is real’, but your body needs it’s rest. Allow yourself real time to sleep comfortably. This means you should make sure that you have accommodating living arrangements.
- Don’t bring things that you may suffer losing. Understand that you will more than likely be in area where there are a lot of people. As much as we’d like to think so, not everyone is as good a person as we’d hope so don’t underestimate the fact that bringing your wallet, your cell phone, your iPad, etc. out on the beach does risk having those items stolen. If you carry any important documents in your wallet other than the true necessities, leave those things at home as well.
- STAY HYDRATED. If you’re going to be doing a lot drinking oreven for those of you who will just be out in the sun on the beach all day, remember that it is SUPER important that you stay hydrated. POWERADE AND WATER–you CANNOT have too much of either of them! Your body will thank you for this. Rack up!
- Tell the truth about where you are. Yes, I’m serious. I know that someone somewhere is reading this and was not planning on telling their parents where their spring break plans are really leading them. This is not safe. If something bad happened (because this is a possibility) someone, somewhere needs to know exactly where you are and who you are with. It may not seem important to you, but it’s definitely a mature decision. Don’t risk it!
- Be mindful of how much your $PENDING vs. how much you have to $PEND! This is self explanatory. KNOW how much you have to spend and don’t go over your budget! Don’t forget to prepare for unexpected costs!
- Utilize ‘The Buddy System’. If you’re not going to tell your parents where you are, at least make sure that someone knows where you are when you are out on your vacation. Choose a ‘buddy’ (with similar interests–this is important so you both will want to go the same places) and stick with them! NEVER GO ANYWHERE ALONE.
- BRING CONDOMS. I get it, one night stands happen. Beat yourself to the punch and spare yourself the guilt by packing your condoms. Ladies, yes… you can come prepared with condoms. No raw-dawgin’ tonight, boys.
- Memorize your emergency contact numbers! Phone’s die, guys. Do NOT depend on your iPhone to save you if shxt really did turn bad while you’re on your vacation. Memorize a “this is super serious” contact number and a “ah, save me” contact number. KNOW them. You never know when you’re going to need them.
- Think before you act. Just keep in mind that living carefree doesn’t mean living carelessly. Whatever stories you make wherever you go are bound to return back home with or before you. Make good judgment. Be CAREFUL. Be mindful of your surroundings… you know, all the things Mama used to tell us.
Well, I told you it would be kind of long, but did you learn anything valuable? If so, write it down; Print this out; Do whatever is necessary to take that point with you! After all, that’s what it’s hear for. Enjoy your spring break and be sure to tell me all about it!
Peace and love, dear reader.